XML-Director is our Plone-based integration platform for building high-quality enterprise-grade publishing solutions.
XML-Director is our Plone-based integration and implementation platform for delivering enterprise-grade publishing solutions to customers.
The core features of XML-Director are:
- transparent application access to XML databases (Exist-DB, BaseX, Marclogic Server), DMS (Alfresco), WebDAV-based storages (Dropbox, Sharepoint) and cloud storages like Dropbox, Google Drive or S3
- registries for XML validation and XML transformations
- export and import of data and content
- a REST API for managing content, workflows and conversions
- a very secure CMS with workflow support, user and group management etc. based on the CMS Plone
Due to its modular and generic design, XML-Director is capable to integrate third-party conversion services easily and seamlessly:
- conversion from DOCX to XML (and back to DOCX lossless) using C-REX conversion service
- conversion from XML/HTML to high-quality PDF (supporting PDF converters like PrinceXML, PDFreactor or Antennahouse)
- EPUB conversion using Bookalope
- DITA conversion (using DITA-OT or XMLMind DITAC)
- various XML related transformations using Transpect
- integration with Calibre
In XML-Director Version 2.0 (soft-released lately) we introduce some more new features
- full support for Plone 5.0 and 5.1
- a new user interface for navigating and filtering your content and data
- a reimplemented import form for zipped content or a new multi-file upload
- support for Dropbox as content source
- integration Twitter and Facebook for pushing content updated directly to social media
- integration with Nimbudocs editor for building decent WYSIWYG web-to-print applications
- an easy-to-use browser-based DITA topic editor
- a graphical DITA map composer for creating maps from existing content repositories using drag & drop
- integration with Smashdocs editor
- planned: integration with XEditor
- planned: integration with oXygen XML Web Author
- Complete list of reference related to Produce & Publish and XML Director
- Onkopedia Casestudy - XML-based publishing with Plone, Exist-DB and XML-Director
- Onkopedia Casestudy - XML-based publishing with Plone, Exist-DB and XML-Director (German)
Stellungnahme der Antidiskriminierungsstelle des Bundes zur Beförderung von großen Personen bei Airlines
In einer formlosen Anfrage an die Antidiskriminierungsstelle des Bundes habe ich gefragt, ob es das Zusammenpferchen von großen Personen wie mich (203cm) in der Economy Klasse der meisten Airlines auf dem Platz einer Legehenne rechtlich vereinbar ist und ob sich aus der Körpergrösse ein Anrecht auf eine menschenwürdige Beförderung ableiten lässt. Die Antidiskriminierungsstelle antwortet mit einer interessanten Rechtseinschätzung....
Most browsers lack hyphenation support (except Firefox). This Plone 5 add-on brings customizable hyphenation support to Plone 5 e.g. for better readability of the Plone 5 toolbar in German language.
In general hyphenation on the web is not that important as hyphenation in print due to different display sizes, responsive design etc. However in some situations you want proper hyphenation for words or texts when the horizontal width of a box is limited and the standard word breaking algorithms of browser just generate a bad result.
This is one of (my) issues with the Plone 5 toolbar which looks like this (out-of-the-box with German as language) with completely unacceptable and improper word breaks.
As a result the Plone 5 toolbar looks much nicer - in particular because a proper hyphenation.
zopyx.plone.hyphenator can be configured to apply hyphenation to arbitrary page element by specifying a list of related CSS selectors within the Hyphenator control panel
After many months of pain with Plone 5.0, XML-Director 2.0 will be finally available for production soon. This screencast shows you how to integrated Plone via XML-Director with Dropbox (or other databases or (cloud) storages).
We are looking for some upcoming projects support by a web/frontend developer.
- MUST speak GERMAN fluently
- MUST be based in Germany
- MUST be able to travel within Germany (Hamburg, Berlin, Stuttgart area)
Applicant must be fluent with
- AngularJS 2 and/or ReactJS
- tools like SaSS, Less, Bootstrap or related Frameworks
Applicant must be able to able to design decent web user interface.
You should have a reasonable understand of the "mobile first" approach
and some background in building "progressive web apps". You should be familar
with the most decent tools in web/mobile development etc.
In the first phases of the project you will direct interact with the CEO/CTO
for creating initial mockups and UI prototypes .
A big plus would be experiences with native applications (Android, iOS)
through some frameworks like Phonegap etc. for building hybrid applications
that work both within the browser and for better user experience as native app.
Knowledge in Python would be nice but is not a must however you should be fluent
with Linux, the command line and tools like GIT. Additional skills welcome.
This position is a remote position but being located in Germany (see above) is a big plus.
Please get in touch with Andreas Jung (email@example.com) and include your CV, references, experiences with related frontend and web technologies.
XML Director is an generic solution for building XML-based content management solutions based on the CMS Plone. This video shows how we build easy-to-use web-to-print applications using CSS Paged Media (XML/HTML for input, CSS for layout and styling). This demo features the PDFreactor PDF converter and the Nimbudocs WYSIWYG editor by RealObjects. Plone 5 as foundation for XML Director Web-to-Print solutions
This is a follow of my blog entry from yesterday.
There is now a demo portal where you can try Plone 5 with the XML-Director based Web-to-Print solution. You can pick up one (out of four templates) and modify selected parts of the documents either using a form or directly within the PDF layout.
XML Director is an generic solution for building XML-based content management solutions based on the CMS Plone. This video shows how we build easy-to-use web-to-print applications using CSS Paged Media (XML/HTML for input, CSS for layout and styling). This demo features the PDFreactor PDF converter and the Nimbudocs WYSIWYG editor by RealObjects.
The migration of XML Director to Plone 5 is making big progress. As part of the ongoing effort I extended XML Director as web-to-print solution platform.
The following screencast shows how it is possible to use Plone 5 and XML Director as decent web-to-print application. The screencast shows to usecases:
- generation of PDF from a given HTML templates and CSS styles with form data filled through Plone. The input forms for each template are automatically generated from the HTML (with some additional metadata stored within the HTML, no need to create forms manually or individually). The generated PDF file is being stored automatically on the preconfigured storage (XML database, cloud storages, local filesystem).
- editing of the template using the Nimbudocs editor. The Nimbudocs Editor provides WYSIWYG editing of the template. The layout looks exactly the same as in the final PDF.
Our XML Director project now gained native support for Dropbox. "Native" means that you no longer need a third-party SaaS bridge like Otixo or StorageMadeEasy. Here is a quick and dirty screencast. This complements the storage story of Plone with external storage system. See my talk "Building bridges" given at Plone Conference 2015. The Dropbox driver for XML Director will be made available against a small fee in order to compensate the upfront cost for updating the low-level Dropbox driver for pyfilesystem.
Survey on integrations of third-party services, clouds, storages with Plone
I created a small suvery on integrating Plone with third-party services, storages and clouds.