Converting your Plone content to PDF, RTF, Open Office or OOXML with SmartPrintNG - Web-to-Print for Plone
"SmartPrintNG" is now part of the "Produce & Publish suite" and has been officially re-branded as "Produce & Publish for Plone"
What is SmartPrintNG?
SmartPrintNG provides high-quality export of Plone content to the most common office formats like PDF, RTF, ODT, DOCX and WML based on XSL-FO tchnology. This means you can generate office-documents of high-quality from HTML (providing the content and document structure) and CSS (providing the look & feel). SmartPrintNG does not require knowledge about complex type-setting systems - you only need to know about HTML and CSS (in case you want to customize the default templates or stylesheets).
SmartPrintNG can convert the 'content' view of Plone documents into different formats:
- ODT (for Open-Office)
More outstanding features:
- In addition SmartPrintNG provides a configurable pre- and post-processing pipline in order to give you full control over the conversion process. SmartPrintNG comes with filters to remove images, remove links or generate a link list at the end of the document, support for breaking a document into pages (e.g. for presentation handouts) and much more.
- To control the look & feel of the generated document you can configure custom templates and custom style-sheets.
- Templates and stylesheet and additional filters are configurable per content-type giving you the ultimate control over the generated document.
- Per-content-type configurable and programmable content aggregation (e.g. generate a single PDF document from all pages within a given folder)
- Header and footer regions can be configured through HTML and will appear on every page.
- Support for counters (e.g. for page counters).
- Supports most common paper formats (A4-A0, Legal, Letter)
- Language-specific hyphenation support
- multi-column support
- user-configurable margins
- highly-extensible and configurable
- Plone 3.0, Plone 3.1
- for office formats:XFC converter (XMLMind)
- for PDF:XINC converter (Lunasil, commercial) or Apache FOP 0.94+ (Apache Project, free but feature-wise limited compared to XINC). We support only the official FOP builds - no support for packaged FOP versions.
- zopyx.convert V 1.0.6 for higher (V 1.1.0 is required when using Apache FOP for PDF generation)
- Beautifulsoup 3.0.X
- Java 1.5 or higher (Java 1.6 or higher is required when using FOP 0.94)
- ensure that zopyx.convert is installed including all its dependencies (follow the link and really check the requirements section!)
- unpack the SmartPrintNG archive inside the Products folder of your instance home
- add SmartPrintNG through the Add/Remove programms functionality inside the Plone UI
- on Plone 3.0 you will see Export as new document action. Clicking on it will open the SmartPrintNG control panel at the bottom of your current page.
Current version: 1.2.2
For Plone 2.5: use SmartPrintNG 1.0.X
The preferred method for installing SmartPrintNG is using zc.buildout. SmartPrintNG is available from PyPI
The sources are available through Subversion (Collective SVN).
The release notes can be found here.
SmartPrintNG is licensed under the terms of the Open Source LGPL 3.0 license.
Services and support
ZOPYX Ltd. &. Co. KG provides services around SmartPrintNG like custom templates and stylesheets, extended functionality and what ever you need.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Note: our support is limited to XINC and XFC as converter backends. We don't support FOP!